Balliol College, Oxford
Balliol is one of the oldest, most centrally located and diverse of the Oxford colleges. It is widely known for its high academic standards, lively spirit of intellectual debate and friendly atmosphere. The graduate centre of Balliol College is located in Holywell Manor, which has a thriving social and academic life and the college is proud of its lively, large and international graduate community.
Facilities for Students with Disabilities
- Disabled facilities are available in the Graduate Centre at Holywell Manor
- Arrangements are made on an individual basis. Students may contact the College to discuss their needs before submitting applications for admission.
- The college has a large well-stocked on-site library, comprising important collections of medieval and contemporary manuscripts, books by former College members and early printed books
- Law Library
- College Archives
- All study rooms are well equipped with network connections (broadband)
- A number of affluent computer rooms in College well-equipped with PC computers scanners and high quality laser printers
- Approximately ten computers with a network scanner and printer in the Graduate Centre Wireless internet access available in some of the areas of the Graduate Centre
Art, Drama, Music and Sport
- Sports fields with tennis and squash courts, a basketball court, a croquet lawn, table tennis facilities, cricket and football pitches
- An excellent boat club and a well-equipped boathouse on the Thames
- Multi-gyms in the Graduate Centre in Holywell Manor and in College
- Music practice rooms in College (comprises a Steinway grand piano available for concerts) and in Holywell Manor
- Studio theatre available for performances and rehearsal
- Several student societies
- Student-run Bar, Common Room, TV room, Lounge and Games Room (all in the Graduate Centre in Holywell Manor)
- A full-time year-round nursery for the staff and pre-school children of Balliol
- Students' Childcare bursaries available
- The Chapel is a centre of worship, which is for all denominations
Meals and Accommodation
- The graduate accommodation is located in Holywell Manor
- Some of the rooms include their own wash basin. Shower rooms and toilets are communal
- Letting period: forty-four weeks
- Several well-equipped shared kitchenettes available across the Graduate Centre
- Dinner and Lunch available in the College Dining Hall
Funding and Prizes
Balliol College offers various graduate scholarships, some of them held in association with the University Clarendon Fund Scheme. Many graduate bursaries are given to current students annually and small grants are available towards preparation of theses and research expenses. For more information about funding and prizes, students are advised to refer the college or university website.
The college has an active MCR Committee, which runs various aspects of students life and cope with everything from organizing various social events to represent the graduates in college. For more information, please visit the College MCR website.