Biology at Imperial College London
Imperial College London offers an undergraduate course in Biology. The college ensures that students have a wide education applicable to various career choices. The college offers both three and four-year study options for the BSc Biology with Management. The three-year programme consists of two years studying biology followed by one year in the Business School. The four-year programme brings the first three years up to the same level as the full BSc Biology or BSc Biochemistry programme followed by one year in the Business School. All courses lead to a Bachelor of Science degree programme and the Associateship of the Royal College of Science (ARCS).
Students studying biology programmes follow the same core modules in the first year of study. The first year module consists of Cellular Metabolism and Biological Chemistry, Cell Biology, Biology of Organisms, Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. As the year progress, students shall begin to specialize further as per their chosen degree programme or individual optional module choices. A wide range of optional courses offered comprising subjects such as Immunology, Animal and Plant Physiology, Animal Behaviour, Virology, Neurobiology and Evolutionary.
Students have an excellent opportunity to attend field courses comprising Marine Microbiology, Marine Ecology, Tropical Biology, Conservation and Biodiversity. Student studying BSc in Biology degree course have a wide spectrum of course choices on plant, animal and microbial topics. The timetable alternatively allows a high level of specialization in specific disciplines that may be needed for certain research or jobs.
The four-year BSc in Biology with Management is similar to C100 for the first three years. The modular approach to the curriculum provides students flexible options and the possibility of transferring from one degree course to another. If students enter under a code other than C110 and desire move to the Biology with a year in industry/research course they ought to do so in their first year. The college makes sure that the training placement to be arranged in advance.
The first year course incorporates the basic core areas of biology. In the first term, the college arranges classes on literature referencing and information retrieval and tuition in chemistry and mathematics is available.
All students take the following four courses:
- Biology of Organisms
- Biological Chemistry and Cellular Metabolism
- Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Statistics, Experimental Design and Computing
- Applied Molecular Biology
- Supplementary Course from Imperial College Business School or the Department of Humanities
- Immunology or Cell and Developmental Biology or Ecology
- Animal and Plant Physiology or Bacterial Physiology
- Global Change Biology or Genetics or Parasitism and Other Life Strategies
- Virology or Resource Management
- Tutored Dissertation or Marine Ecology Field Course
For Biology with Management degrees, students shall take courses in Imperial College Business School. Other students need to select four biological courses one from each session. Marine Microbiology, Tropical Biology, A field course, Conservation and Biodiversity taken in the earlier summer vacation can be taken instead of one term-time course.
- Plant Molecular Biology
- Medical Microbiology
- Population and Community Ecology
- Animal Behaviour
- Genetics and Genomics
- Evolutionary Biology
- Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions
- Applied Ecology
- Parasitology and Vector Biology
- Integrative Systems Biology
- Synthetic Biology
- Environmental and Industrial Microbiology
- Development Evolution of Animal Form
- Cellular Signaling and Neurobiology
- Neuroscience Research
- Plant Biotechnology and Sustainability
- Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
- Molecular Cell and Immuno-biology
In the final term, students will carry out a full-time research project.