|PM/PD Entrance exam: Chemistry|
General & Inorganic Chemistry
Structure of Atom: Bohr's model of the hydrogen atom, Pauli's exclusion principle.
Molecule and Chemical Bond: Ionic and covalent bonds and general properties associated with the bonds, hybridization, shape of molecules having sp, sp2 and sp3 hybridised bonds, Electronegativity and polarity of bonds, hydrogen bonds.
Periodic Properties of Elements: Grouping of elements into families, periodic law, Electronic configuration of elements as the basis of periodic classification, General discussion of variation of properties such as valency , atomic size, ionisation energy , electron affinity , electronegativity and metallic character along periods and groups in the periodic table.
Chemistry of Elements and Compounds: Occurrence, isolation, chemical properties and use of nitrogen, phosphorus, oxygen, chlorine, bromine.
- Nomenclature of organic-compounds, Iso- merism, Tetrahedral structure, hybridization, sigma and pi bonds.
- Methods of preparation, properties, structure and uses of the following classes of compounds:
- Hydrocarbons, Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes, Benzene.
- Chloroform, Idoform, Carbon tetrachloride, Chlorobenzene,
- Hydroxy derivatives: phenols.
- Carboxylic acids, substituted acids.
- State of Matter: Nature of intermolecular forces, kinetic energy and order of constituent species in gases, liquids and solids, Properties of gases, liquids and solids, Kinetic theory of gases.
- Energetics: Exothermic and endothermic reactions.
- Chemical Equilibrium: Law of mass action and its application to chemical equilibrium, Le Chatelier- Braun principle, factors influencing equilibrium. Ionic equilibria in aqueous solution. solubility product, common ion effect. Modem concept of acids and bases, pH value.