Post Graduate Diploma Course in Journalism and Communication
Kerala Press Academy offers a course in Journalism and Communication. The duration of the course is eleven months. The course aims at imparting quality education in the field of mass media. The course curriculum incorporates practical exercises to hone student's skills.
Students must have passed Bachelor's Degree in any discipline for admission to this course. The admission is purely based upon student's performance in the aptitude test. Once students cleared the aptitude test, they will be called for personal interview. Therefore, students need to clear aptitude test followed by the interview for admission to the course.
Students are required to appear for the written exam at the end of the course in all the subjects. However, they do not need to appear for DTP subject.
Students need to obtain at least 40 % marks in each part for passing and 40% aggregate in the final exam. The break up of class is given below.
- I-Class: 60% or above of the aggregate marks
- II-Class: 50% and above but less than 60%
- III-Class: 40% and above but less than 50%
It must be noted that there is no supplementary exam for failed students or those who are willing improvement. They can appear for the exam in the successive year only after paying the required exam fee or within three years of successful completion of the course. Students cannot appear for any exam after three years.
Assessment of DTP
Evaluation will be based upon continuous internal assessment. There are a minimum of five internal tests held periodically on prescribed dates. It is compulsory for every student to clear the test. The DTP paper carries 100 marks. The classes would be for five days a week. Students need to fulfill the 70% attendance. Students who fail to appear for the exam for dearth of attendance owing to illness or any other reasons shall be considered to continue study in the consecutive year by the director. Nonetheless, these students need to pay complete fees or in part as suggested by the director.
The break up of modules is given below
Module - 1
- Paper - 1: Effective Writing and Communication (English, Malayalam & Translation)
- Paper - 2: Journalism (Reporting)
- Paper - 3: Journalism (Editing)
Module - 2
- Paper - 4: Business Journalism & Introduction to Information Technology
- Paper - 5: Sports Journalism and Current Affairs
Module - 3:
- Paper - 6: Broadcast Journalism and Media Management
- Paper - 7: Desktop/Web Publishing and Production Techniques
Module - 4
- Paper - 8: History of Journalism and Media Laws
- Paper - 9: Communication and Mass Media
- Paper - 10: Public Relations and Advertising
Module - 5
- Project Works and Field Assignment
- Term Exam
- Viva Voce
- Lab Journal & Performance in Communication Club, Class Assignment