|UPSC - Syllabus - Zoology|
Examination Syllabus - Subject : Zoology
- Cell structure and function :
- Prokaryote and eukaryote.
- Structure of animal cell, structure and functions of cell organelles.
- Cell cycle-mitosis, meiosis.
- Structure and contents of nucleus including nuclear membrane, structure of chromsome and gene, chemistry of genetic components.
- Mendel's laws of inheritance, linkage and genetic recombination; cytoplasmic inheritance.
- Function of gene: replication, transcription and translation; mutations (spontaneous and artificial); Recombinant DNA: principle and application.
- sex determination in Drosophila and man; sex linkage in man.
- Systematics :
- Classification of non-chordates (up to sub-classes) and chordates (up to orders) giving general features and evolutionary relationship of the following phyla: Protozoa, Porifera, Coelenterata, Platyhelminthes, Nematheliminthes, Annelida, Arthropoda, Mollusca, Echinodermata, Minor Phyla (Bryozoa, Phoronida and Chaetognatha) and Hemichordata.
- Structure reprodcution and life history of the following types: Amoeba, Monocystis, Plasmodium, Paramaecium, Sycon, Hydra, Obelia, Fasciola, Taenia, Ascaris, Neanthes, Pheretima, Hirudinia, Palaemon, Buthus, Periplaneta, Lamellidens, Pila, Asterias and Balanoglossus.
- Classification of chordates (up to orders), giving general features and evolutionary relationship of the following: Protochordata; Agnatha; Gnathostomata-Pisces, Amphibia, Reptilia, Aves and Mammalia.
- Comparative functional anatomy of the following based on type animals (Scoliodon, Rana, Calotes, Columba and Oryctolagus): integrument and its derivatives, endoskeleton, digestive system, respiratory system, circulatory system including heart and aortic arches, urinogenital system; brain and sense organs (eye and ear); endocrine glands and other hormone producing structures, (Pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pancreas, gonads) their function.
- Vertebrate Physiology and Biochemistry :
- Chemical composition of protoplasm; nature and function of enzymes; vitamins, their sources and role; colloids and hydrogen ion concentration; biological oxidation, electron trasport and role of ATP, enegetics, glycolysis, citric acid cycle; vertebrate hormones: their type, sources and fucntions; pheromones and their role.
- Neuron and nerve impulse-conduction and transmission across synapses; neurotrasmitters and their role, including acetyl cholinesterase activity.
- Homeostasis; osmoregulation; active transport and ion pump.
- Composition of carbohydrates, fats, lipids and proteins; steroids.
- Embryology :
- Gametogenesis, fertilization, cleavage; gastrulation in frog and chick
- Metamorphosis in frog and retrogressive metamorphosis in ascidian; extra-embryonic membranes in chick and mammal; placentation in mamals; Biogenetic law.
- Evolution :
- Origin of life; principles, theories and evidences of evolution; species concept.
- Zoogeographical realms, insular fauna; geological eras.
- Evolution of man; evolutionary status of man.
- Ecology, Wildlife and Ethology :
- Abiotic and biotic factors; concept of ecosystem, food chain and energy flow; adaptation of aquatic, terrestrial and aerial fauna; intra-and inter-specific animal relationships; environmental pollution: Types, sources, causes, control and prevention.
- Wildlife of India; endangered species of India; sanctuaries and national parks of India.
- Biological rhythms.
- Economic Zoology :
- Beneficial and harmful insects including insect vectors of human diseases.
- Industrial fish, prawn and molluscs of India.
- Non-poisonous and poisonous snakes of India.
- Venomous animals-centipede, wasp, honey bee.
- Diseases causd by aberrant chromosomes/genes in man; genetic counselling; DNA as a tool for forensic investigation.