|UPSC - Syllabus - Sociology|
Examination Syllabus - Subject : Sociology
- Basic Concepts
- Society, community, association, institution. Culture-culture change, diffusion, Cultural-tag, Cultural relativism, ethnocentrism, acculturation.
- Social Groups-primary, secondary and reference groups.
- Social structure, social system, social action.
- Status and role, role conflict, role set.
- Norms and values-conformity and deviance.
- Law and customs.
- Socio-cultural processes: socialisation, assimilation, integration, cooperation, competition, conflict, accommodation, Social distance, relative deprivation.
- Marriage, Family and Kinship
- Marriage : types and norms, marriage as contract, and as a sacrament.
- Family : types, functions and changes.
- Kinships : terms and usages, rules of residence, descent, inheritance.
- Social Stratification
Forms and functions; Caste and Class. Jajmani system, purity and pollution, dominant caste, sanskritisation.
- Types of Society
Tribal, agrarian, industrial and post-industrial.
- Economy and Society
Man, nature and social production, economic systems of simple and complex societies, non-economic determinants of economic behaviour, market (free) economy and controlled (planned) economy.
- Industrial and Urban Society
Rural-Urban Continuum, urban growth and urbanisation-town, city and metropolis; basic features of industrial society; impact of automation on society; industrialisation and environment.
- Social Demography
Population size, growth, composition, and distribution in India; components of population growth-births, deaths and migration; causes and consequences of population growth; population and social development; population policy.
- Political Processes
Power, authority and legitimacy; political socialisation; political modernisation, pressure groups; caste and politics.
- Weaker Sections-and Minorities
Social justice-equal opportunity and special opportunity; protective discrimination; constitutional safeguards.
- Social Change
Theories of change; factors of change; science, technology and change. Social movements-Peasant Movement, Women's Movement, Backward Caste Movement, Dalit Movement.