|UPSC - Syllabus - Economics|
Examination Syllabus - Subject : Economics
Part-I (General Economics)
- Production : Agents of Production; Costs and Supply; Isoquants
- Consumption and Demand; Elasticity concept
- Market Structure and concepts of equilibrium;
- Determination of prices;
- Components and Theories of Distribution
- Elementary concepts of Welfare economics : Pareto-optimality-Private and social products-consumers surplus.
- Macro-economics :
- National Income concepts;
- Determinants of National Income Employment
- Determinants of consumption, savings and Investment
- Rate of Interest and its determination
- Interest and profit.
- Money, Banking and Public Finance :
- Concepts of Money and measures of money supply; velocity of money
- Banks and credit creation; Banks and portfolio management.
- Central Bank and control over money supply
- Determination of the price level.
- Inflation, its causes and remedies.
- Public, Finance-Budgets-Taxes and non-tax revenues-Types of Budget deficits.
- International Economics :
- Theories of International Trade-comparative costs-Heckscher-Ohlin-Gains from Trade-Terms of Trade.
- Free Trade and Protection.
- Balance of Payments accounts and Adjustment.
- Exchange rate under free exchange markets.
- Evolution of the International Monetary System and World Trading order-Gold Standard-the Brettonwoods system.
- IMF and the World Bank and their associates.Floating rates-GATT and WTO
- Growth and Development :
- Meaning and measurement of growth; Growth, distribution and Welfare;
- Characteristics of underdevelopment;
- Stages of Development;
- Sources of growth-capital, Human capital, population, productivity, Trade and aid, non-economic factors; growth Strategies,
- Planning in a mixed economy-Indicative planning-Planning and growth.
- Economic Statistics : Types of averages-measures of dispersion-correlation-Index numbers; types, uses and limitations.
Part-II (Indian Economics)
- Main features; Geographic size-Endowment of natural resources, Population; size, composition quality and growth trend-Occupational distribution-Effects of British Rule with reference to Drain theory and Laissez Faire policy.
- Major problems, their dimensions, nature and broad causes; Mass poverty-Unemployment and its types-Economics effects of population pressure-Inequality and types thereof-Low productivity and low per capita income, Rural-urban disparities-Foreign Trade and payments imbalances. Balance of Payments and External Debt- Inflation, and parallel economy and its effects-Fiscal deficit.
- Growth in income and employment since Independence-Rate, Pattern, Sectoral trends-Distributional Changes-Regional disparities.
- Economic Planning in India : Major controversies on planning in India-Alternative strategies-goals and achievements, shortfalls of different plans-planning and the Market.
- Broad Fiscal, monetary, industrial trade and agricultural policies-objectives, rationale, constraints and effects.