Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Urdu
Paper-I (Answers must be written in Urdu.)
Development of Urdu Language
- Development of Indo-Aryan
- Old Indo-Aryan
- Middle Indo Aryan
- New Indo Aryan
- Western Hindi and its dialects Brij Bhasha Khadi Boli, Haryanavi Kannauji, Bundeli-Theories about the origin of Urdu Language
- Dakhani Urdu-Origin and development, its significant linguistic features.
- Social and Cultural roots of Urdu language-and its distinctive features.
- Script, Phonology, Morphology, Vocabulary.
- Genres and their development
- Poetry : Ghazal, Masnavi, Qasida, Marsia, Rubai, Jadid Nazm,
- Prose : Novel, Short Story, Dastan, Drama, Inshaiya, Khutoot, Biography.
- Significant features of
- Deccani, Delhi and Lucknow schools
- Sir Syed movement, Romantic movement, Progressive movement, Modernism.
- Literary Criticism and its development with reference to Hali, Shibli, Kaleemuddin Ahmad, Ehtisham Hussain, Ale-Ahmad Suroor.
- Essay writing (covering literary and imaginative topics)
Paper-II (Answers must be written in Urdu.)
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate's critical ability.
- Mir Amman Bagho-Babar
- Ghalib Intikhab-e-Khutoot-e Ghalib
- Mohd. Husain Nairang-e-Khayal Azad
- Prem Chand Godan
- Rajendra Singh Apne Dukh Mujhe Bedi Dedo
- Abul Kalam Azad Ghubar-e-Khatir
- Mir Intikhab-e-Kalam-e-Mir (Ed. Abdul Haq.)
- Mir Hasan Sahrul Bayan
- Ghalib Diwan-e-Ghalib
- Iqbal Bal-e-Jibrail
- Firaq Gul-e-Naghma
- Faiz Dast-e-Saba
- Akhtruliman Bint-e-Lamhat