|UPSC - Syllabus - Russian|
Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Russian
Paper-I (Language and Culture)
Answers must be written in Russian except in the case of question regarding translation from Russian to English.
- Modern Russian Language
Phonetics, Morphology, Syntax, Lexicology, Lexicography and Semantics, linguistics
- Translation from Russian into English and vice-versa.
- Socio-political and economical development of the Russian Federation : Patriotic war of 1812, October Revolution, Perestroika and Glasnost, disintegration of USSR. Regional & Cultural variations of the Russian Federation.
- Essay on general topics.
Paper-II (Literary History and Literary Criticism)
Answers must be written in Russian Literature
Literary movements, Sentimentalism, Romanticism, Naturalism, Realism, Critical Realism, Socialism, Acmeism, Symbolism, Futurism; Origin and development of literary genres : Folk literature, Lyrics and poems-A.S. Pushkin, M.U. Lermontov, Alexander Blok, Esenin, V. Mayakovky, Anna Akhmatova. Epic-L.N. Tolstoy, M. Sholokhov, Short story, novelet, novels-Pushkin, Lermontov, N.V. Gogol, S. Shchedrin, I. Goncharov, I. Turgenev, F.M. Dostoevsky, L.N. Tolstoy, A.P. Chekhov, M. Gorky, M. Sholokhov, I. Bunin, E. Zamyatin, Boris Pasternak, A. Solzhenitsyn, M. Bulgakov, Chingiz Aitmatov, V. Rasputin, V. Shukshin, Criticism-Belinsky, Dobrolyubov, Chernyshevsky, Pisarev, Drama-Chekhov, Gogol. Influence of socio-political movements on literature.
This part will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidates’ critical ability.
- A.S. Pushkin Evgeny Onegin
- M.U. Lermontov Hero of our times
- N.V. Gogol Revizor
- I.S. Turgenev Fathers and sons
- F.M. Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment
- L.N. Tolstoy
- War and Peace
- A.P. Chekhov
- Smert Chinovnika
- A.M. Gorky Mother
- A. Blok The twelve
- B.B. Mayakovsky
- Cloud in plants
- M. Sholokhov Fate of a man
- B. Pasternak Doctor Zhivago
- Solzhenitsyn One day in the life of Ivan Danisovich
- V. Rasputin Zhivi i Pomni
- Chingiz Aitmatov Bely Porokhod
- V. Shukshin Chudik