Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Oriya
Paper-I (Answers must be written in Oriya.)
History of Oriya Language
- Origin and development of Oriya Language-Influence of Austric, Dravidian, Perso-Arabic and English on Oriya Language.
- Phonetics and Phonemics : Vowels, Consonants Principles of changes in Oriya sounds.
- Morphology : Morphemes (free, bound compound and complex), derivational and inflectional affixes, case inflection, conjugation of verb.
- Syntax : Kinds of sentences and their transformation, structure of sentences.
- Semantics-Different types of change in meaning Euphemism.
- Common errors in spellings, grammatical uses and construction of sentences.
- Regional variations in Oriya Language (Western, Southern and Northern Oriya) and Dialects (Bhatri and Desia)
History of Oriya Literature
- Historical backgrounds (social, cultural and political) of Oriya Literature of different periods.
- Ancient epics, ornate kavyas and padavalis.
- Typical structural forms of Oriya Literature (Koili, Chautisa, Poi, Chaupadi, Champu).
- Modern trends in poetry, drama short story, novel, essay and literary criticism.
Paper-II (Answers must be written in Oriya.)
Critical Study of texts
The paper will require first hand reading of the text and test the critical ability of the candidate.
- Sarala Das-Shanti Parva from Mahabharata.
- Jaganath Das-Bhagabate, XI Skandha-Jadu Avadhuta Sambada.
- Dinakrushna Das-Rasakallola- (Chhandas-16 & 34)
- Upendra Bhanja-Lavanyabati (Chhandas-1 & 2)
- Radhanath Ray-Chandrabhaga
- Mayadhar Manasinha-Jeevan Chita
- Satchidananda Routray-Kabita-1962
- Ramakanta Ratha-Saptama Ritu.
- Manoranjan Das-Katha-Ghoda
- Bijay Mishra-Tata Niranjana
- Fakir Mohan Senapati-Chhamana athaguntha
- Gopinath Mohanty-Danapani
- Short Story
- Surendra Mohanty-Maralara Mrityu
- Manoj Das-Laxmira Abhisara
- Chittaranjan Das-Taranga O Tadit (First five essays).
- Chandra Sekhar Rath-Mun Satya-dharma Kahuchhi (First five essays)