Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Nepali
Paper-I (Answers must be written in Nepali.)
- History of the origin and development of Nepali as one of the new Indo-Aryan Languages
- Fundamentals of Nepali Grammar and phonology:
- Nominal forms and categories: Gender, Number, Case, Adjectives, Pronouns, Avyayas
- Verbal forms and categories: Tense, Aspects, Voice, Roots and Fixes
- Nepali Swara and Vyanjana
- Major Dialects of Nepali
- Standardisation and Modernisation of Nepali with special reference to language movements (viz. Halanta Bahiskar, Jharrovad etc.)
- Teaching of Nepali language in India-Its history and development with special reference to its socio-cultural aspects.
- History of Nepali literature with special reference to its development in India.
- Fundamental concepts and theories of literature
- Kavya Prayojan
- Literary genres
- Shabda Shakti
- Major literary trends and movements
- Ayamik Movement
- Contemporary Nepali writings
- Nepali folklores (the following folk-form only)- Sawai, Jhyaurey, Selo, Sangini, Lahari.
Paper-II (Answers must be written in Nepali.)
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed below and questions will be designed to test the candidate’s critical acumen.
- Santa Jnandil Das-Udaya Lahari
- Lekhnath Poudyal-Tarun Tapasi (Vishrams III, V, VI, XII, XV, XVIII only)
- Agam Singh Giri-Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani (The following poems only-rasawako Chichy-ahat-sanga Byunjheko Ek Raat, Chhorolai, Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Prati-dhwani, Hamro Akashmani Pani Hunchha Ujyalo, Tihar).
- Haribhakta Katuwal-Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi : (The following poems only - Jeewan : Ek Dristi, Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi, Akashka tara Ke Tara, Hamilai Nirdho Nasamjha, Khai Many-ata Yahan Atmahutiko Balidan Ko).
- Balkrishna Sama-Prahlad
- Manbahadur Mukhia-Andhyaroma Banchneharu (The following One-Act plays only-‘Andhyaroma Banchneharu’, ‘Suskera’).
- Indra Sundas-Sahara
- Lilbahadur Chhetri-Brahmaputrako Chheuchhau
- Rupnarayan Sinha-Katha Navaratna (The following stories only-Biteka Kura, Jimmewari Kasko, Dhanamatiko Cinema-Swapna, Vidhwasta Jeevan).
- Indrabahadur Rai-Vipana Katipaya (The following stories only-Raatbhari Huri Chalyo, Jayamaya Aphumatra Lekha-pani Aipugi, Bhagi, Ghosh Babu, Chhutyaiyo).
- Sanu Lama-Katha Sampad (The following stories only-Swasni Manchhey, Khani Tarma Ekdin, Phurbale Gaun Chhadyo, Asinako Manchhey).
- Laxmi Prasad Devkota-Laxmi Nibandha Sangraha (The following essays only-Sri Ganeshaya Namah, Nepali Sahityako Itihasma Sarvashrestha Purus, Kalpana, Kala Ra Jeevan, Gadha Buddhiman Ki Guru?)
- Ramkrishna Sharma-Das Gorkha (The following essays only-Kavi, Samaj Ra Sahitya, Sahityama Sapekshata, Sahityik Ruchiko Praudhata, Nepali Sahityako Pragati).