|UPSC - Syllabus - Marathi|
Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Marathi
Paper-I (Answers must be written in Marathi.)
Section-A (Language and Folk-Iore)
- Nature and Functions of Language (with reference to Marathi)
- Language as a signifying system : Langue and Parole; Basic functions; Poetic language; Standard Language and dialect; Language variations according to social parameters.
- Linguistic features of Marathi in thirteenth century and seventeenth century.
- Dialects of Marathi
- Marathi Grammar
- Parts of Speech; Case-system; Prayog-vichar (Voice)
- Nature and kinds of Folk-lore (with special reference to Marathi)
- Lok-Geet, Lok Katha, Lok Natya
Section-B (History of Literature and Literary Criticism)
- History of Marathi Literature
- From beginning to 1818 AD, with special reference to the following : The Mahanubhava writers, the Varkari poets, the Pandit poets, the Shahirs, Bakhar literature.
- From 1850 to 1990, with special reference to developments in the following major forms : Poetry, Fiction (Novel and Short Story), Drama; and major literary currents and movements, Romantic, Realist, Modernist, Dalit Gramin, Feminist.
- Literary Criticism
- Nature and function of Literature;
- Evaluation of Literature;
- Nature, Objectives and Methods of Criticism;
- Literature, Culture and Society.
Paper-II (Answers must be written in Marathi.)
Textual study of prescribed literary works. The paper will require first-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Mahatma Jotiba Phule
- "Shetkaryacha Asud;
- ‘Sarvajanik Satyadharma’
- S.V. Ketkar
- P.K. Atre
- Sharchchandra Muktibodh
- Uddhav Shelke
- Baburao Bagul
- ‘Jevha Mi Jaat Chorli Hoti’
- Gouri Deshpande
- P.I. Sonkamble
- ’Namadevanchi Abhangawani’
Ed: Inamdar, Relekar, Mirajkar
Modern Book Depot, Pune
Ed : M.N. Adwant
Sahitya Prasar Kendra, Nagpur
By Raghunath Pandit
- ‘Balakvinchi Kavita’
By Vinda Karandikar
By Narayan Surve
- ‘Sandhyakalchya Kavita’
- ‘Ya Sattet Jeev Ramat Nahi’
By Namdev Dhasal