India Schools : The Blue Mountain School, Ootacamund
Founded on 9th February 1961 the Blue Mountain School under the F.G. Pearce Educational and Charitable Trust was the result of Frederick Gordon Pearce’s vast background and thinking in the field of public school education.
Located in its own spacious building on a 4 acre campus on the western slopes facing Ooty valley, South India, an old English style residential building and estate (formerly the private residence of a British Raj Governor of Burma) have been adapted for the requirements of a small educational community without destroying the informal and homely environment of a private residence.
The staff’s attitude is parental and concerned with personal care. Resident teachers and teacher-couples live next to each dormitory to look after the children. A resident matron looks after the health and the school doctor attends regularly to the infirmary. Teachers are from many parts of India and abroad.
Children are from age levels 6+ to 18+ years. The number of children is limited to a hundred. The school is coeducational with a boy-girl ratio of 50 : 50.
Affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination since 1966. All academic learning is individualized. Children take the examination syllabus at IX and above, doing the ICSE and ISC.
Amounts payable on admission are as follows:
- Admission Fee (Not refundable) Rs. 15,000/-
- Caution Deposit (Refundable when pupil leaves the school after adjustment to debit/credit) Rs. 2,000/-
- School Fee (For the term) Rs. 17,500/-
- Advance towards general expenses (For the term) Rs. 4,000/-
- On admission, the total fee payable becomes Rs. 38,500/- Thereafter the following amounts become payable at the beginning of each term.
- School fee for one term (Subject to revision) Rs. 17,500/-
- Advance towards General expenses (For the term) Rs. 4,000/-
- School fees can be paid for a term or for a whole year .
Admissions are ordinarily made only in the primary section at ages 6+ to 11+. In special circumstances admission may be granted to children of age 12+.
Health, and physical fitness are looked after through various programmes of games, sports and yoga.
Extra Curricular Activities
Creative drama, educational drama, and theatre constitute another special aspect of the curriculum. Sensitivity to the environment and interaction with the natural world is encouraged through hiking, trekking, nature walks and nature camps. These form a significant part of the curriculum. Skills of hand and eye, artistic appreciation and expression is taken care of by the woodwork, art and craft sections. Community singing, instrumental music, Bharatanatayam and dance programmes contribute to the child’s aesthetic sensibilities.